Information for curators
How can I get involved?
First, request an account. You can immediately start contributing as much or as little as you want, and your edits will become part of BigSigDB (About). See a table of recent contributions and curators.
- For a detailed explanation of the process of entering studies, experiments, and signatures, refer to the Curation Policy.
- To participate in regular curator meetings, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To contact site administrators in a public forum, post to the BugSigDB Google Group.
- See/edit the presentation schedule at PresentationSignup.
Where can I start?
- Help match unknown names to the NCBI taxonomy.
- Complete Studies that have no experiments (these are usually studies of interest that have not yet been curated).
- Fix improper values, such as matching study conditions to the Experimental Factor Ontology, body sites to the Uber-anatomy Ontology, and other vocabulary to BugSigDB-defined values. Sometimes it requires requesting that an administrator add a missing term.
Information for reviewers
Reviewers double-check BugSigDB for accuracy and consistency. Some key links (others under Help:Cleanup):
- Help:Needs_review: identifies pages that have never been reviewed ("Missing review"), have been edited since the previous review ("Stale reviews"), or have been manually flagged for review ("Flagged for review").
- Help:Cleanup: identifies pages with outstanding issues, such as missing or invalid data. It makes heavy queries so it may take a while to load or purge.
- Incomplete pages (marked as incomplete by curator)
- Pages with missing NCBI ID
- Pages with a disallowed value
- Special:ReplaceText: site-wide search and replace
- Special:Log/delete: Deletion log
- Standardize values How to standardize property values
Contact email@example.com to request to become a reviewer of contributed data.
- Signatures with missing NCBI ID: These are taxa names that original curators were unable to match to a valid NCBI identifier and name, and may benefit from additional expert review.
Information for administrators
Key links for administrators:
- Special:ApiSandbox: API sandbox
- Help:Admin: Edit auto-complete fields
- Special:SpecialPages: All special pages
- Special:CreateAccount: Create accounts
- Special:ConfirmAccounts: Approve/reject account requests
- Special:ListUsers: list users and roles
- Special:UserRights: change roles for one of the above users (requires knowing user name, can be found above).
- Special:Log: site-wide log
Finally, MediaWiki general help.
Information for data analysts and tool developers
The data in BugSigDB are made available under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0). Please feel free to copy, redistribute, and adapt, even commercially, as long as you provide attribution and do not apply additional restrictions. Semantic MediaWiki software and customizations made for this website are licensed under GPL>=2.0.
Some useful links:
- Access BugSigDB data in R using the bugsigdbr Bioconductor package. bugsigdbr provides some additional conveniences over raw csv file export, such as harmonizing taxonomic level and selecting on body site or study condition, and provides three options for data source:
- Source code and issue tracking for the bugsigdb.org Semantic MediaWiki site
- Example analyses of bugsigdb.org
For other information, see About BugSigDB.